Monday 5 July 2004

throttle cable snaps......

FRIDAY
-------
Friday night , long day at work , tired and just picked up my sausage supper from the local chippy .....pulled away ....1st...2nd....thump!
Accelerator hits the floor and I'm going nowhere.
Desperate to get my supper before it gets cold , I head up the road at breakneck speed in 3rd gear at idle revs LOL.
A handy tip is to switch the aircon on , which increases the load and you get a further 1mph speed boost!!!!!
Anway , I got home (and my clutch sighed with relief). I did think it was just a slipped connection but alas , a quick tug on the cable and half of it arrived frayed in the drivers footwell :-(

I have ordered a new cable but its 55 quid! and stock in the UK may be a problem!
[I have also seen a post at www.fccuk.org where a generic cable may fit ...]

For the time being I couldnt resist a 5 days for 7 car hire deal from Arnold Clark. Excellent value , so my trusty steed for the next few days is a Toyota Yaris 1litre VVTi (feel the power). Its a great small car , I kid you not, AND its got a cool digital dash display.

SATURDAY
---------
Finally picked up my new Kenwood head unit (remember the replacement for the JVC I didnt like). Fitted into my non working car this morning. Its superb and definitely much more what I was after. Install was a bit tricky with so many extra outputs at the back (ie not enough room!). Initial impressions are great. Sound is fantastic. Things I dont like are the colour of the faceplate (shiny grey/blck for the top of the range , when lower models colour would be a better dash match!) and the flimsy (if not very small and portable) removeable MASK plate.
The unit fits fine in a coupe and you can even use the full drop down angle on the lower faceplate area (i had concerns as the dash is 'sunken' on the coupe).
All in all a big success so far.....now all I need is a car that works.....

Also removed some of the ashtray area to prep for the AVCR install , I want it to look factory , so some design + fitting is going to be required.....it will not be fitted until exhaust manifold is fitted though.

next stop service and exhaust manifold ............

No comments: